Outdated Resource Warning!
This is documentation for legacy version 0.x
releases. If you are using 1.x see the wiki
Quick Start Guide
This is a very quick start guide. You should probably read the proper documentation which is itself pretty quick.
Once your system has been installed you can start using it immediately. Begin by adding nodes in the main screen.
Input the node id (maximum length 60, should be lower case and alphanumeric) and click create. You can now configure the node and add details such as a description and tests.
See the tests section of the documentation for more detail but briefly tests configurable are:
- Ping (ICMP) - pings the hostname
- Web Size - gets the size of a webpage from the URL specified
- Web Time - same as size but returns the time taken in seconds
- TCP Port - connects to hostname on tcp port specified
- IMAP - connects to an IMAP or POP3 mailbox with the options given
- SMTP - connects to the SMTP server specified
- MySQL Rows - connects to the MySQL host with the credentials given. Optionally performs a database select and query. Returns the number of rows returned or affected by the query.
- MySQL Time - same as MySQL Rows but returns the time taken to perform the connect and optional DB select and query
- DNS Host - DNS lookup on hostname or IP using standard techniques (gethostbyX)
- DNS Query - direct DNS lookup of a specified type against a specific nameserver
The node and any tests will be shown as untested until the test script is next fired. The alert status of the node is determined by the worst result (so if it has a web and ping test and the ping test passes but the web fails the node will record a failure alert).
Disabled nodes are not included in testing.
If you choose to record the data from a test a history link will be available in the node monitor to see the recorded data in table and graph form.
To add email alerts use the administrator link and select to create new alert action. Configure your alert action for the relevant email addresses etc and add nodes. You will now receive email alerts dependent on the choices you made (just alerts, the alert level decreasing as well and/or closures). Nodes can be members of more than one alert action.